Arab Street

At the suggestion of good makan (food) place, we headed to this place at Arab Street (near Bugis). Well, the very first thing before we even met was me praying that it won't rain when we are there. (And days ago, I was praying it will rain because of the hot and stuffy weather where there wasn't any wind at all.) Anyway, it stopped raining by then we yes, we made it to the place.

At my friend's recommendation, I tried this indonesia dish called Sate Padang. Everything looks similar to Singapore delicacy - Satay but the meat that this eatery used is beef (which I was trying to convince my friends it's mutton but I was wrong) and the sauce is toward curry flavor gravy. 

Sate Padang 
Pricing is $6.00 for a set (7 sticks of satay + lontong)

For big eaters like me, of course I was complaining that I am still not full! Thus, while walking around to look for photo-taking spots + more FOOD!, I was brought to this eatery full of dishes. In the end we settled for kuehs only. (Per piece costs $0.50). Sugar coated kuehs, so sweet and so nice.. But I prefer the donut shaped (it is not the normal donut, the texture is more chewy) to the balls shaped (the filling taste like sticky rice + grated coconut). The black piece of kueh is made up of rice as well and it has a fragrance which I like a lot. Hope to revisit this place for more kuehs. (A pity we didn't get to try Tahu Telor)

Moving on... there were a lot of shophouses building and also a Malay Heritage Centre but it was closed for renovation for the time being. In the end, our plan for photo-shooting became a wander-less walking around arab street. It's amazing that I have never been to those place before.
A Quick View

In used?
Nice view out there?

(. . . . . . . . . . )
No more photos! We kept walking and walking and walking. (But my legs wasn't aching though.)

First we passed by store selling tin robot which does not requires battery to move! It is controlled by some mechanism designed within and operated with a key and has a on and off button but it was going at SGD $20  and the uncle told us it is going at SGD $40+ elsewhere. It's tempting... but I didn't buy it.

And there is this Tuo Luo which I thought I won't find it in Singapore as well, but the uncle was also selling it. And the "5 stones" and "Go Lee" (Marble), the bubble blowing toy shaped in different form such as the Aladdin lamp... And that's not all...

There was yet another mega toy store selling miniature cars, boardgames, etc (occurs 6 shop houses in total). There is this game called "Pickup Stick" which the stores sells a similar one but it uses satay sticks instead of the plastic type one (which I will buy for sure)

Along the way, you can see many stores selling stuffs ranging from clothes to beads to handcraft items. With fading interest in wander-less walking, we were back to square one -> Bugis. 

But it's a weekend! And it's crowded! So... next destination...

Swirl Yogurt.
(No photo again)
$0.30/10g
My friend paid $8 for his yogurt. Thus, you can expect how much yogurt that was. 

There were 8 flavors to choose from, and you decide the amount you want to eat because it's D.I.Y style. 
1. Choose cup size
2. Choose flavor
3. Control the handle to get the amount you want
4. Time for toppings (self-service, self-select)
5.Weigh 
6. Pay
7. EAT!

(But I will still stick to Yami Yogurt for now)

Dinner Time!
Yes, finally more food.
Queue Number 22!
The drink is nice, I liked it. Never knew that cucumber and lime can made such a nice blend.
(Oh, I forgot to take a snap of the Teh Botol)


This was Lele Penyet, which is Catfish! Don't know how it taste like. Maybe I shall try it next time.

What I had, Ayam Panggang (Grilled Chicken)
Like the chicken, like the sweet soya sauce with chilli but portion is small. But thanks to my friend who was too full from the $8 yogort from Swirl Art, he gave me a portion of his rice and in the end, I was bloated! 

And the wait for the final dish, Ayam Penyet (Fried Smashed Chicken)

The above three dishes are ala-carte and does not comes with the rice. Thus, remember to ask for the rice by topping up $0.50 per plate unless you are there on a weekday where they comes in a set (dish + rice at a lower price value)

This is one of the outlet at Bugis. There is 2 other outlets, one at Jurong East but not sure about the third outlet location. Also, I forgot the name of the stall as well. Let me try to find the name and put it here.

Conclusion of today, it's a sinful day of eating food without spending big bucks!



Comments

Dini said…
Hi, do you remember where is the place that sells sate Padang? Been looking for it quite sometime. Thanks! :)
meetd_ said…
Sorry for me superb late reply. Haven't been using my blog. I don't remember where as my friend was the one who led us to the place. Only thing I remember was this dish was written on the blackboard in front of the store.

Popular posts from this blog

Almond Florentine Recipe - Revisited (with Air Fryer)

Koi Fish Nian Gao Recipe 鯉鱼年糕 (年年有鱼/余)

Almond Florentine Recipe (using Florentine Powder)